[Pacemaker] Building MySQL cluster with DRBD+Heartbeat+Pacemaker

George Negoita negoita.george at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:31:01 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Lars Ellenberg
<lars.ellenberg at linbit.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:51:26PM +0300, George Negoita wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:12 AM, <devaraja.somaiah at wipro.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to build HA setup with DRBD+Hearbeat+pacemaker for MySQL
> > > database.
> > >
> > > Can you pls let me know whether these versions are stable and
> compatible.I
> > > tried building setup for resource level monitoring  with this,but
> confused
> > > while creating crm clusters.
> > >

> > AFAIK, Heartbeat is more or less unmaintained. You should switch to
> OpenAIS.
> > (
> >
> http://www.clusterlabs.org/wiki/FAQ#Which_Messaging_Layer_Should_I_Choose.3F
> > )
>
> which does not mean it is not stable.  the cluster communication layer
> of heartbeat, which is the only layer used by crm, is in some ways still
> superior than what certain versions of OpenAIS can do now.

I don't doubt it's stable, but, when I have to setup a couple of servers
(which should stay in production for quite a few years), I feel a little
unconfortable knowing one of the base modules is considered unmaintained and
obsolete...

"Since the intial stable release of OpenAIS/Pacemaker, Heartbeat 2 can be
considered obsolete and Pacemaker should be used instead." - quote from drbd
manual

"The Heartbeat project has been effectively unmaintained for several years
(with the exception of the OCF resource agents)" - quote from Pacemaker's

...those are the main two opinions which influenced me to switch to OpenAIS.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but OpenAIS cannot do unicast, it can
> apparently still not do multiple rings reliably, or recover
> automatically from a broken ring, once the link works again.

OpenAIS also doesn't offer a serial communication like heartbeat.

Yes, those versions are OK, though of course pacemaker 1.0.5 is there,
> and drbd 8.3.3rc2 is there already as well.
>
> Maybe the problem should be described a bit (better)?
>
> > I think this is a very good place to start:
> > http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/ch-pacemaker.html
> > then, http://www.clusterlabs.org/wiki/Documentation
>
> Thanks for advertising us ;)

It's because you deserve it. IMHO, drbd is one of the best documented
projects I know.

--
George Negoita
System Administrator