[Pacemaker] Resource capacity limit

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Wed Nov 11 07:46:30 EST 2009

On 2009-11-09T10:52:03, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch at multinet.de> wrote:

> I just think it would be cool solution to make the cluster itself
> doing the work if condfigured to do so. So the CRM (or the RAs) should
> have the abaility to monitor the resource consumption of resources
> dynamically. This automatism would make the live of admins much easier
> and they would not be forced to do the scripting by their own.

Automatically, and possibly dynamically, figuring out the load incurred
by a specific resource, and its min/avg/peak limits, is an extremely
hard problem.

Yes, it is very cool, but outside the scope of Pacemaker itself. With
these patches to take the load into account, Pacemaker is equipped to
take such input from monitoring frameworks, but I don't think Pacemaker
itself should be this monitoring tool.

For VMs, this is somewhat easier (compared to individual resources) to
monitor, since the hypervisor/Dom0 has access to this data: memory
consumption, CPU utilization over N minutes, disk IO/network etc. I'd
very very much love to see this added.

Perhaps the "monitor" op for the RA could handle this.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.