[Pacemaker] Resource capacity limit

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Mon Nov 9 04:52:03 EST 2009

Am Freitag, 6. November 2009 08:49:06 schrieb Andrew Beekhof:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch at multinet.de>
wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 5. November 2009 21:37:23 schrieb Andrew Beekhof:
> >> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Michael Schwartzkopff
> >> <misch at multinet.de>

> >> You can, but you probably don't want to.
> >> For example, free RAM and CPU load are two things that absolutely make
> >> no sense to include in such calculations.
> >>
> >> Consider how it works:
> >>
> >> - The node starts and reports 2Gb of RAM
> >> - We place a service there that reserves 512Mb
> >> - The cluster knows there is 1.5Gb remaining
> >> - We place two more services there that also reserve 512Mb each
> >>
> >> If the amount of RAM at the beginning was the amount free, then when
> >> you updated it to be 512Mb the PE would run and stop two of the
> >> resources!
> >
> > Stop. I do not want to make the capacity of the nodes dynamically but the
> > actual resource consumption of the resources (i.e the database).
>
> Ah, ok, that makes more sense.
> Well like any part of the configuration it can be changed at any time.
> What we don't have though is a nice cli tool like crm_attribute for doing
> so.

I know the crm_attribute command. Of course someone can always do somw
scripting to acchieve the aim I described above.

I just think it would be cool solution to make the cluster itself doing the
work if condfigured to do so. So the CRM (or the RAs) should have the abaility
to monitor the resource consumption of resources dynamically. This automatism
would make the live of admins much easier and they would not be forced to do
the scripting by their own.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42