[Pacemaker] how to configure IPMI resource

Bernd Schubert bs_lists at aakef.fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 11 05:49:16 EST 2009

Hello lepace,

On Wednesday 11 November 2009, lepace wrote:
> Hi,everyone
> I am a newbie,and I am confused when I want to configure ipmi resource
>  using pacemaker commandline. 1.The difference between
>  stonith:external/ipmi and stonith:ipmilan.which rule should  I base on to
>  choose between them
>

> 2.In external/ipmi, I want to know the relation between hostname param and
>  ipmi IPaddr param,  in the same primitive, the hostname must be the
>  computer's hostname where the IPMI/BMC hosted ?can hostname=
>  host1,host2,host3 or more? I have 8 nodes HA cluster, can one IPMI manage
>  other 7 machine?

be careful with the default external/ipmi script, it uses the reset method and
according to IPMI specs, a successful return status may come back, although
the action failed. In real life I have also seen several system not properly
reset by this, even with successful return status. So I have rewritten the
script to use power-off, power-status, power-on and since this checks the real
power status it is also reliable.
Unfortunately, I presently don't have a test system to also add back the reset
method as an option in order to update the official script.

Here is an example with the additional option, the default script will just
ignoret these:

# very long on_time due to shared onboard NIC / IPMI
primitive st-ipmi-1 stonith:external/ipmi       	\
params hostname=server1 ipaddr=ipmi-ip_of_server_1        \
userid=root passwd=password interface=lanplus     	\
min_off_time=60 off_time=60 on_time=120         	\
op monitor interval=600 timeout=240

It will reset "server1" using the IPMI-IP "ipmi-ip_of_server_1".

--
Bernd Schubert
DataDirect Networks