[Pacemaker] Temporarily disabling the cluster

Jesse W. Hathaway jesse at mbuki-mvuki.org
Tue Sep 9 11:14:51 EDT 2008

> On 2008-09-09T16:56:41, Andrew Beekhof <beekhof at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Is there a way to avoid the fail counter being incremented?
> > basically no.  you could reset them before changing is_managed_default back
> > though
>
> I think we need to consider implementing a _real_ maintenance mode for
> the entire cluster or specific resources; "is_managed" was provided with
> a different goal in mind, and thus fails to deliver this whenever users
> try to use it for this anyway.
>

> Jesse, can you clearly specify your needs for what you want to achieve?
> (Don't worry about the implementation; just tell us what you want to
> happen ;-)

I think in most maintenance situations you need a "suspend" mode.

For instance we might have an emergency where we need to change code in
our production synapse cluster. Rather that bringing down the whole
cluster, I would prefer to:

  1. Suspend the cluster
  2. Update code
  3. Restart service, ensure code change was successful
  4. Enable cluster

thanks, Jesse

--
  Although they are