[ClusterLabs] Running Pacemaker/Corosync in HA pair on stateless machines, why not?

Jeff Johnson jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
Wed Sep 18 18:35:07 UTC 2024

Greetings,

I've configured HA clusters for some time and I find myself wanting to
do this on stateless machines (PXE booted RAMdisk OS image). I hear that
you cannot run Pacemaker/Corosync on stateless pairs but I haven't heard
exactly why.

It seems to me that if I have an OS image (PXE/RAMdisk) that contains
all the proper packages, a shared corosync key and config, and a fully
configured cib file in the proper place I should be able to boot two
independent machines off of that image with the configured IPs and
hostnames and get a quorum just like a stateful pair booting up.

If one stateless node gets fenced, the survivor has the current CIB and
resources, continues to function. If the fenced node reboots it has the
original cib and when it rejoins the cluster the surviving node updates
the cib on the newly joined node. If both get fenced or otherwise
powered down, they both reboot with the original cib that defines
resources and locations.

What am I missing? This is for a simple two node HA cluster.

Thanks...

--
Jeff Johnson

jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
www.aeoncomputing.com
t: 858-412-3810 x1001   f: 858-412-3845
m: 619-204-9061

4170 Morena Boulevard, Suite C - San Diego, CA 92117

High-Performance Computing / Lustre Filesystems / Scale-out Storage