[ClusterLabs] Pacemaker newbie

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Sep 16 15:04:11 UTC 2024

On Fri, 2024-09-13 at 15:08 +0000, Taylor, Marc D wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just found this list and have a few questions.
>
> My understanding is that you can’t run a cluster that is both
> active/active and active/passive on the same cluster nodes.  Is this
> correct?

Nope, Pacemaker has no concept of active or passive nodes, that's just
an easy way for people to think about it. In Pacemaker, any node can
run any resource in any mode unless told otherwise.

> We need to run a cluster to share out storage.  On one LUN we need to
> share out NFS and on another LUN we need to share out Samba.  We
> already shared out the NFS LUN in an active/passive configuration.
> It looks like Samba should be shared out as Active/Active though we
> did find procedures for Active/Passive.  What is the best wisdom
> here?

Both resources would be clones. I'm not familiar with those particular
resource agents, but assuming they support promote/demote actions, you
would just configure both clones with promotable="true", and set
promoted-max="2" on the samba clone.

https://clusterlabs.org/pacemaker/doc/2.1/Pacemaker_Explained/html/collective.html#clone-options