[ClusterLabs] Resource Agents: pgsql vs. pgsqlms

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Fri Jul 12 08:32:10 UTC 2024

On Thu, 11 Jul 2024 22:20:03 +0200
Ede Wolf <listac at nebelschwaden.de> wrote:

> […]
> >> the other the language. Bash is realistic to read, perl probably not.
> >
> > That's really a matter of taste, and you might be surprised:
>
> Well, if we manage to get it up and running by help of documentation,
> and some trial and error, we may not really need to read the agents
> anyway. In fact, that is, what we hope. It would just be a fallback
> since everyone here pitied either documentation

Feedback are welcome to improve the existing documentation, just open issues in
the git repos about documentation:

* what's wrong with it?
* what's missing in it?
* typos?
* outdated? (well, at least on Pacemaker and OS version, it obviously is
  outdated)

Moreover, should the documentation on the website be copied as flat files in
/usr/share/doc/resource-agents-paf?

> > Too bad I hadn't update the vagrant PoC for a while, but you can have a look
> > in the following vagrant envs, if they still work with "modern"
> > ansible/libvirt:
>
> For evaluation we actually prefer going completely on foot and not use
> any automation magic. I am a bit oldfashioned and rather learn by doing
> wrong than by reading yaml.

The good point with the existing old vagrant PoCs is that they call bash scripts
to actually setup the VMs, PostgreSQL instances and the Pacemaker clusterware.
Vagrant only create VMs, then call the scripts in appropriate order with
appropriate arguments. There's almost no yaml, only a small config file to tweak
some names and versions if you don't want defaults.

So you can have a look at them and actually understand what they are doing:

  https://github.com/ClusterLabs/PAF/tree/master/extra/vagrant/3nodes-vip/provision

Keep in mind that:

* this is a bit old
* it goes almost straight to the point. It doesn't implement best production
  practices about security, maintainability, robustness, etc

> I am a bit oldfashioned and rather learn by doing wrong than by reading yaml.

+1

++