[ClusterLabs] OCF_HEARTBEAT_PGSQL - any good with current Postgres- ?

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Fri May 5 04:41:27 EDT 2023

On Fri, 5 May 2023 10:08:17 +0200
lejeczek via Users <users at clusterlabs.org> wrote:

> On 25/04/2023 14:16, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 12:32:45 +0200
> > lejeczek via Users <users at clusterlabs.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I've been looking up and fiddling with this RA but
> >> unsuccessfully so far, that I wonder - is it good for
> >> current versions of pgSQLs?
> > As far as I know, the pgsql agent is still supported, last commit on it
> > happen in Jan 11th 2023. I don't know about its compatibility with latest
> > PostgreSQL versions.
> >
> > I've been testing it many years ago, I just remember it was quite hard to
> > setup, understand and manage from the maintenance point of view.
> >
> > Also, this agent is fine in a shared storage setup where it only
> > start/stop/monitor the instance, without paying attention to its role
> > (promoted or not).
> >
> It's not only that it's hard - which is purely due to
> piss-poor man page in my opinion - but it really sounds
> "expired".

I really don't know. My feeling is that the manpage might be expired, which
really doesn't help with this agent, but not the RA itself.

> Eg. man page speaks of 'recovery.conf' which - as I
> understand it - newer/current versions of pgSQL do not! even
> use... which makes one wonder.

This has been fixed in late 2019, but with no documentation associated :/
See:
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/commit/a43075be72683e1d4ddab700ec16d667164d359c