[ClusterLabs] Fence Agents Format

Or Raz oraz at redhat.com
Mon Jul 10 05:00:13 EDT 2023

Hi all,
My team has been working on a new operator which uses some of your Fence
Agents (FA, i.e. fence_aws, fence_ipmilan, and etc.) to remediate an
unhealthy Kubernetes node (see fence-agents-remediation
<https://github.com/medik8s/fence-agents-remediation>).
After looking on the recommended attributes for new FAs
<https://github.com/ClusterLabs/fence-agents/blob/main/doc/FenceAgentAPI.md#attribute-specifications>,
and the valid *action *attribute values
<https://github.com/ClusterLabs/fence-agents/blob/main/doc/FenceAgentAPI.md#agent-operations-and-return-values>
,
I have some questions on the structure/format of the FAs command attributes
and their responses:

   1. Will running a fence-agent without mentioning the action field will
   always choose the *reboot* option (e.g. the following call will reboot
   the node "fence_aws --access-key ACCESS_KEY --secret-key SECRET_KEY --plug
   i-INSTANCE_ID --region AWS_REGION")?
   2. Are there any must-have fields which are shared between all the FAs
   that you support? I assume the answer is no, since I didn't see any must
   fields which are mutual between *fence_aws*, and *fence_ipmilan* for
   instance. A must field is a field which is required for running the FA
   (e.g. *access-key* for *fence_aws)*.
   3. Do the result responses to the FA are identical per action? E.g. For
   the *reboot* action, I have seen that on success I always receive
   `Success: Rebooted` for fence_aws, and fence_ipmilan. I am an
   uncertain whether that is correct for all the FAs.

Best regards,
*OR*