[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Re: cibadmin response unexpected

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jan 18 02:03:10 EST 2023

<CAPiuu99cmW9deg8=QmZkqB7fgtpotCYdFhxASDXoqOmi=n7S4A at mail.gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 7:17 PM d tbsky <tbskyd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>    I am using RHEL 9.1 with pacemaker-cli-2.1.4-5. I tried command below:
>>
>> > cibadmin -Q -o xxx
>>
>> I expect the result tell me that "xxx" scope is not exist, but the
>> command return the whole configuration. is this the normal behavior?

It seems to be bad design: There should not have been output and there should
have been an exit code != 0.
However as wrong usages seem to be out in the wild, so it cannot be fixed
even. Very unfortunate.
Building on such parts to make a reliable system is really a challenge!
So for the future it's best to avoid releasing "quick & dirty" solutions IMHO
��

>> thanks a lot for help.
>
> Yes -- we recently added a warning for invalid scope, but we can't
> throw an error until a compatibility break. We have to preserve the
> existing behavior until then.
>
> New warning:
> Low: tools: Validate scope in cibadmin.c
> (https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/commit/0b5f8a24)

IMHO trying to retrieve something that does not exist should output nothing
AND prefrably an error exit code, too (see above).

Regards,
Ulrich