[ClusterLabs] Unable to add a node to an existing cluster

Bartosz Kaczyński bkaczynski at posteo.net
Mon Aug 7 16:45:15 EDT 2023

Hello ClusterLabs community!

I'm in the process of learning this technology, using the course "Say
Goodbye to Downtime with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (Repeat)" [1]
where the instructor guides through the process of installing a cluster
on one node and joining to the cluster on another node.

The instructor is using SLES 15. The entire test environment is quite
complex in terms of networking and storage. I think I managed to
replicate it on openSUSE Leap 15.5.

I initiated the cluster from node01 with the following command:

node01:~ # crm cluster init -u \
     -s /dev/disk/by-path/ip-10.10.11.111:3260-iscsi-iqn.(...)-lun-0 \
     -s /dev/disk/by-path/ip-10.10.12.112:3260-iscsi-iqn.(...)-lun-0 \
     -s /dev/disk/by-path/ip-10.10.13.113:3260-iscsi-iqn.(...)-lun-0

 From node02, I then tried to join it to the cluster with the following
command [2]

I also believe that I met all the requirements regarding the network
connectivity between the nodes and cluster resolution. ICMP is working
between all interfaces, the /etc/hosts file is also filled in on both
hosts, and time synchronization is ensured with chronyd.

The network diagram is available as a downloadable graphic [3], and
someone has created a similar tutorial using VMware as the hypervisor
(while I am using KVM) [4].

I am aware that providing assistance in such a situation can be
challenging, and the problem may occur at various levels. However, is
there anything that I might have overlooked, or is there anything that
comes to your mind?

[1] https://open.sap.com/courses/suse2-1-pc
[2] https://paste.opensuse.org/pastes/254c28adf1c5
[3]