[ClusterLabs] Removing a resource without stopping it

Tomas Jelinek tojeline at redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 04:37:16 EST 2022

Hi,

The output you posted actually shows the procedure you followed works.
Orphan resources are running resources which have no configuration
stored in CIB. Usually, they are stopped shortly after they are removed
from CIB. If you set stop-orphan-resources to false, pacemaker won't
stop them.

To summarize:
1) Set stop-orphan-resources to false. This prevents pacemaker from
stopping a resource once it is removed from CIB.
2) Run `pcs resource delete srv01-cs8 --force`. Using --force makes pcs
not trying to stop the resource. Pcs directly removes the resource from CIB.
3) Confirm by running `pcs status`. If you see the resource is orphaned,
it means the resource is still running after it has been removed from
CIB and the only trace of it is in pacemaker state - pacemaker remembers
it had started a resource which is now not present in CIB.

In this stage, when you flip stop-orphan-resources to true, pacemaker
stops the resource as there is no record of it in the CIB anymore and
therefore no reason for it to be running. Once stopped, the resource is
removed from pacemaker state as well.

Not sure if this helps you with the actual migration, but hopefully it
at least clarified a bit what's going on.

Regards,
Tomas