[ClusterLabs] Q: fence_kdump and fence_kdump_send

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 08:46:42 EST 2022

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 7:14 AM Strahil Nikolov via Users <
users at clusterlabs.org> wrote:

> I always used this one for triggering kdump when using sbd:
> https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000019873
>
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 21:34, Reid Wahl
> <nwahl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 3:47 AM Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> kdump.

> help

> device),
> by
> > >
> > > RHKB, for anyone interested:
> > >  - sbd watchdog timeout causes node to reboot during crash kernel
> > > execution (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3552201)
> >
> > What is not clear from this KB (and quotes from it above) - what
> > instance updates watchdog? Quoting (emphasis mine)
> >
> > --><--
> > With the module loaded, the timer *CAN* be updated so that it does not
> > expire and force a reboot in the middle of vmcore generation.
> > --><--
> >
> > Sure it can, but what program exactly updates the watchdog during
> > kdump execution? I am pretty sure that sbd does not run at this point.
>
> That's a valid question. I found this approach to work back in 2018
> after a fair amount of frustration, and didn't question it too deeply
> at the time.
>
> The answer seems to be that the kernel does it.
>   - https://stackoverflow.com/a/2020717
>   - https://stackoverflow.com/a/42589110
>
> I think in most cases nobody would be triggering the running watchdog
except maybe in case of the 2 drivers mentioned.
Behavior is that if there is no watchdog-timeout defined for the
crashdump-case
sbd will (at least try to) disable the watchdog.
If disabling isn't prohibited or not possible with a certain watchdog this
should
lead to the hardware-watchdog being really disabled without anything needing
to trigger it anymore.
If crashdump-watchdog-timeout is configured to the same value as
watchdog-timeout engaged before sbd isn't gonna touch the watchdog
(closing the device without stopping).
That being said I'd suppose that the only somewhat production-safe
configuration should be setting both watchdog-timeouts to the same
value.
I doubt that we can assume that all io from the host  - that was initiated
prior to triggering the transition to crashdump-kernel - being stopped
immediately. All other nodes will assume that io will be stopped within
watchdog-timeout though. When we disable the watchdog we can't
be sure that subsequent transition to crashdump-kernel will even happen.
So leaving watchdog-timeout at the previous value seems to be
the only way to really assure that the node is being silenced by a
hardware-reset within the timeout assumed by the rest of the nodes.
In case the watchdog-driver has this running-detection - mentioned
in the links above - the safe way would probably be having the
module removed from crash-kernel.

Klaus