[ClusterLabs] Cannot ping a secondary address apart from the server which it is assigned to (on Azure)

Paul Warwicker paul.warwicker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 09:49:03 EDT 2021

On 28/10/2021 14:30, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> My understanding is that Azure does not have Layer 2 and it must know
> every IP each VM is using. For virtual IP you can (should?) use Azure
> load balancers - basically,  you create a pool of one address, Azure
> probes each node and detects which node has IP active.

That makes some sense. I did not know the background behind it.

I had been following those instructions. As the service was failing
over, I was just testing what I had so far. What I should have done was
push on to the LB setup, but then I would not know the answer to the
above. So, thanks.

> Accessing local IP is done entirely inside one single server.

I'm not sure I follow. When we setup something similar in VMware on
CentOS 7, we could access the floating IP from anywhere. Have I
misunderstood?

Thanks
-paul