[ClusterLabs] Trying to understand dampening (ping)

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 14:46:05 EDT 2021

On 15.10.2021 09:24, Klaus Wenninger wrote:
> Main pain-point here is that ping-RA allows us to configure the count of
> pings sent, but it
> is just using the exit-value from ping that becomes negative already when
> one of the
> answers is missing.

Looking closer, this is not true. This is behavior of ping if deadline
option (-w) is given which ping RA does not use by default. Otherwise
ping fails if no reply is received.

> This is why with
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/fence-agents/blob/master/agents/heuristics_ping/fence_heuristics_ping.py
> I chose to both give the number of packets sent + number received necessary
> to be
> assumed as alive.

That is of course more flexible, except I am not sure how useful it is
in practice. Can you describe real life scenario where it matters
whether you got 3 or 4 replies out of 5 when pinging *single* server?
Because for multiple servers you already have score option.