[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] unexpected fenced node and promotion of the new master PAF ‑ postgres

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Oct 11 02:17:13 EDT 2021

>>> Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr at dalibo.com> schrieb am 09.10.2021 um
21:28 in
Nachricht <20211009212843.1c8469af at firost>:

> Indeed. But it's an arbitrage between swapping process mem or freeing
> mem by removing data from cache. For database servers, it is advised to use

> lower value for swappiness anyway, around 5‑10, as a swapped process means
> longer query, longer data in caches, piling sessions, etc.

Processes are not swapped, but _pages_ are paged out. That means that
typically uused code paths and data may be paged out.
Database systems may consist of megabytes of error message texts that are not
actually out put in years.
The interesting number is not the "swap" proportion, but the swap (i.e.
paging) _rate_.