[ClusterLabs] what is the point of pcs status error messages while the VIP is still up and service is retained?

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Oct 7 16:28:41 EDT 2021

On Thu, 2021-10-07 at 12:18 +0000, Ian Diddams wrote:
> I trying to find out exactly what the impact/point of such cluster
> error messages as from running “pcs status”
>

> mysql_VIP01_monitor_30000 on wp-vldyn-rafeiro 'unknown error' (1):
> call=467, status=Timed Out, exitreason='',
> last-rc-change='Mon Oct 4 17:04:07 2021', queued=0ms, exec=0ms
>
> This error may be  reported for several hours until "pcs resouce
> refresh" is  run when it just of course goes away

It's a historical record, which is why the last-rc-change is listed. At
that time, the IP monitor timed out. The cluster would have reacted as
configured, most likely restarting the IP.

> This sever is also reporting as the master at the same time, and
> other (xymon) monitoring checks showed
>
> * the VIP as "up" (conn check remained green ie was pingable)
> * a mysql connection via the VIP was successful all the time (test
> run every minute - from a another system "mysqlshow -h<VIP> -uroot
> -p<redcated> mysql" )
>
> so Im not getting what the point of the error is given it doesn’t
> seem to actually affect the service and is just a visual obfuscation
> that doesn’t seem to help?

Pacemaker is just reporting that the IP agent did not respond within
its timeout. Whether the IP was actually affected and why that happened
is unfortunately not something it can figure out.