[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Re: Problem with high load (IO)

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Oct 5 01:52:08 EDT 2021

>>> Gang He via Users <users at clusterlabs.org> schrieb am 30.09.2021 um 03:55
in
Nachricht <afb3d125-3573-a12f-406f-96724eaf154b at suse.com>:

> On 2021/9/29 16:20, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
>>

>> ‑‑‑‑‑ On Sep 29, 2021, at 4:37 AM, Gang He ghe at suse.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Lentes,
>>>
>>> Thank for your feedback.
>>> I have some questions as below,
>>> 1) how to clone these VM images from each ocfs2 nodes via reflink?
>>> do you encounter any problems during this step?
>>> I want to say, this is a shared file system, you do not clone all VM
>>> images from each node, duplicated.
>>> 2) after the cloned VM images are created, how do you copy these VM
>>> images? copy to another backup file system, right?
>>> The problem usually happened during this step?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Gang
>>
>> 1) No problems during this step, the procedure just needs a few seconds.
>> reflink is a binary. See reflink ‑‑help
>> Yes, it is a cluster filesystem. I do the procedure just on one node,
>> so i don't have duplicates.
>>
>> 2) just with "cp source destination" to a NAS.
>> Yes, the problems appear during this step.

> Ok, when you cp the cloned file to the NAS directory,
> the NAS directory should be another file system, right?
> During the copying process, the original VM running will be affected,
> right?

One issue, especially with large RAM systems is this: If you copy from a fast
to a slow device, the RAM wil fil with dirty buffers, probably causing a read
starvation (no discardable buffer available). So this can affect any unlelated
process.
(Actually in the past it affected the IPaddr monitor for us)
However I think recent kernels (maybe it's SUSE specific) prevent the whole
free RAM to be filled with dirty buffers.

Regards,
Ulrich