[ClusterLabs] LVM and Filesystem resources - ordering and starting/stopping as a unit

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Nov 5 10:37:36 EDT 2021

On Fri, 2021-11-05 at 05:28 +0000, Neitzert, Greg A wrote:
> Hello,
> With a Pacemaker 1.1.13/Corosync 2.3.5 cluster is it possible to
> define a relationship between two resources so that:
> B depends on A (a normal order constraint)
> AND
> If either fails, they both need to be stopped and restarted, in the
> order defined above (B stops, A stops, A starts, then B starts)
>
> In the normal configuration, if A fails, then A and B will be
> restarted, because B depends on A.  However, if B fails, only B is
> restarted because A does not depend on it.  In most cases this is
> going to be fine, but we have a case where in some situations B is
> failing precisely because A above it is having a failure (but we
> don’t know it yet).

Unfortunately, no. It is on the wish list but no one's had time to look
at it (and is unlikely to).

One possible fix might be to force reprobes of all resources that a
failed resource depends on, before attempting recovery of the
originally failed resource. That would catch this particular scenario
without introducing an ordering loop. It could also slow recovery
significantly, so we'd probably make it optional behavior.

Your monitoring interval workaround is about the best I can think of.

To do better than that, you might have to write your own resource
agent. You could take Filesystem as a base and add some checks so that
if the issue is present, it issues a hard error (e.g. $OCF_ERR_ARGS) so
it isn't retried on that node until it can be cleaned up. Or if you
only have one filesystem, you could combine the LVM and Filesystem
agents for cleaner handling.