[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] staggered resource start/stop

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Mar 29 07:01:59 EDT 2021

<CAPiuu9-R+ywB7h7zp83pcVUL4zV2vdaUD0Fyjq3NRHLpVrYRbw at mail.gmail.com>:

>> <CAC6SzHLi0ufVhE3RM57e2V=t_mOmL5ECX8AY3gtcfGmOfKDaxg at mail.gmail.com>:
>> > Hi:
>> >    since the vm start/stop at once will consume disk IO, I want to
>> > start/stop the vm
>> > one‑by‑one with delay.
>>
>> I'm surprised that in these days of fast disks and SSDs this is still an
>> issue.
>> Maybe don't delay the start, but limit concurrent starts.
>> Or maybe add some weak ordering between the VMs.
>>

> kind=Serialize does this. It makes the resources start consecutively, in no
> particular order. I added the comment about ocf:heartbeat:Delay because D
> mentioned wanting a delay... but I don't see why it would be necessary, if
> Serialize is used.

This problem made me think of: Does there exist a mechanism for the rather new
tag mechanism to impose a concurrency limit per tag? So the VMs could be tagged
as "VM", and if you limit concurrency for tag "VM" to 1 or 2, you'd be done,
not limiting other resources...
And still the resources could start in the order the cluster thinks it's
best...

Regards,
Ulrich