[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Re: Which fence agent is needed for an Apache web server cluster?

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Mar 29 04:44:56 EDT 2021

<CAPiuu9_R3dzDGimzasrYRSjEqj06a+fmT+Eg4SauwrDdDOijNg at mail.gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86_bg at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I had to tune the fence_ipmi recently on some older HPE blades. The
>> default settings were working, but also returning some output about
>> problems negotiating the cypher.
>> As that output could make future version of the fence agent go wild, I
>> tested several options untill no errors are reported. Maybe the cypher flag
>> was different, but I think it was '-c'. If I'm wrong , the author of this
>> thread can check the man page .
>>
>> Yes -> 'HandlePowerKey=ignore' . I have never expected ipmi to try
>> graceful shutdown when I tell it to 'press and hold' or 'cold boot', yet I
>> never checked the code of fence_ipmi.

I think for HP you actually have four options (in iLO at least):
1) Power Cycle (hardest version of a reset)
2) Reset (the traditional "reset" button)
3) Pressand Hold the Power button: Most likely it wil lsend an ACPI power event first, tehmn within a very few seconds tun off power
4) Press (ACPI) Power Button shortly: deliver an ACPI event the OS may handle

Maybe you even have a 5th option to send an NMI (I think the hardware watchdog does that) (which could cause a kernelpanic with dump, or just be ignored)

However I don't know how much of it is available through IPMI.
On an old DL380 G7 I get:
# ipmitool power
chassis power Commands: status, on, off, cycle, reset, diag, soft
# ipmitool chassis power
chassis power Commands: status, on, off, cycle, reset, diag, soft

Regards,
Ulrich