[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: Order set troubles

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Mar 29 04:11:22 EDT 2021

Nachricht <7c294034-56c3-baab-73c6-7909ab554555 at gmail.com>:
> On 26.03.2021 22:18, Reid Wahl wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 6:27 AM Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 06:19 in
>>> Pacemaker

>>> resources
>>> where

>>> complex).
>>> that
>>> NFS
>>> NFS), the
>>>
>>> And how exactly placing NFS resource under pacemaker control is going
>>> to change it?
>>>

>> I noted earlier based on the old case notes:
>>
>> "Apparently there were situations in which the SAPHana resource wasn't
>> failing over when connectivity was lost with the NFS share that contained
>> the hdb* binaries and the HANA data. I don't remember the exact details
>> (whether demotion was failing, or whether it wasn't even trying to demote
>> on the primary and promote on the secondary, or what). Either way, I was
>> surprised that this procedure was necessary, but it seemed to be."
>>
>> Strahil may be dealing with a similar situation, not sure. I get where
>> you're coming from ‑‑ I too would expect the application that depends on
>> NFS to simply fail when NFS connectivity is lost, which in turn leads to
>> failover and recovery. For whatever reason, due to some weirdness of the
>> SAPHana resource agent, that didn't happen.
>>

> Yes. The only reason to use this workaround would be if resource agent
> monitor still believes that application is up when required NFS is down.
> Which is a bug in resource agent or possibly in application itself.

I think it's getting philosophical now:
For example a web server using documents from an NFS server:
Is the webserver down, when access to NFS hangs? Would restarting ("recover")
the web server help in that situation?
Maybe the OCF_CHECK_LEVEL could be used: High levels could query whether that
resource is not only "running", but also that the resource is responding, etc.