[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: Order set troubles

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Mar 26 03:16:52 EDT 2021

Nachricht <534274b3-a6de-5fac-0ae4-d02c305f1a3f at gmail.com>:
> On 25.03.2021 21:45, Reid Wahl wrote:
>> FWIW we have this KB article (I seem to remember Strahil is a Red Hat
>> customer):
>>   - How do I configure SAP HANA Scale-Up System Replication in a Pacemaker
>> cluster when the HANA filesystems are on NFS shares?(
>> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5156571)
>>

> "How do I make the cluster resources recover when one node loses access
> to the NFS server?"
>
> If node loses access to NFS server then monitor operations for resources
> that depend on NFS availability will fail or timeout and pacemaker will
> recover (likely by rebooting this node). That's how similar
> configurations have been handled for the past 20 years in other HA
> managers. I am genuinely interested, have you encountered the case where
> it was not enough?

That's a big problem with the SAP design (basically it's just too complex).
In the past I had written a kind of resource agent that worked without that
overly complex overhead, but since those days SAP has added much more
complexity.
If the NFS server is external, pacemaker could fence your nodes when the NFS
server is down as first the monitor operation will fail (hanging on NFS), the
the recover (stop/start) will fail (also hanging on NFS). Even when fencing the
node it would not help (resources cannot start) if the NFS server is still
down. So you may end up with all your nodes being fenced and the fail counts
disabling any automatic resource restart.