[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Correctly stop pacemaker on 2-node cluster with SBD and failed devices?

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Wed Jun 16 05:37:50 EDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 11:26 AM Klaus Wenninger <kwenning at redhat.com>
wrote:

>> > Do you have *practical* suggestions on how to do it online in a
>> > running pacemaker cluster? Can you explain how it is going to help
>> > given that lack of sbd device was not the problem in the first place?
>>
>> I would translate this issue as "how to gracefully shutdown sbd to
>> deregister
>> sbd from pacemaker for the whole cluster". Seems no way to do that except
>> `systemctl stop corosync`.
>>
>> With that, to calm down sbd suicide, I'm thinking some tricky steps as
>> below
>> might help. Well, not sure it fits your situation as the whole.
>>
>> crm cluster run "systemctl stop pacemaker"
>> crm cluster run "systemctl stop corosync"
>>
> I guess this shouldn't be helpful in this situation.
> As I've already tried to explain before shutting down
> pacemaker on one of the nodes - if sbd-device can't
> be reached - should already be enough for the other
> one to suicide.
>
> One - not less ugly than other suggestions here I'm afraid -
> thing coming to my mind is to right after stopping pacemaker
> dummy-register at the cpg-protocol. If after that you want
> to bring down corosync & sbd as well it should be possible
> to do that quickly enough - as pcs is otherwise doing with
> 3+ node clusters.

Something else coming to my mind that might be more
helpful and less ugly - have to think it over a bit though:

With the new startup/shutdown-syncing pacemaker
should stay connected to the cpg-protocol till a final
handshake with sbd on shutdown.
If we could bring all nodes to a state right before that
handshake with e.g. pcs we have lots of time for that.
And the final step incl. corosync/sbd shutdown is quick
enough that it can happen on all nodes within
watchdog-timeout.

Klaus