[ClusterLabs] One Failed Resource = Failover the Cluster?

kgaillot at redhat.com kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Jun 4 17:49:11 EDT 2021

On Fri, 2021-06-04 at 19:10 +0000, Eric Robinson wrote:
> Sometimes it seems like Pacemaker fails over an entire cluster when
> only one resource has failed, even though no other resources are
> dependent on it. Is that expected behavior?
>
> For example, suppose I have the following colocation constraints…
>
> filesystem with drbd master
> vip with filesystem
> mysql_01 with filesystem
> mysql_02 with filesystem
> mysql_03 with filesystem

By default, a resource that is colocated with another resource will
influence that resource's location. This ensures that as many resources
are active as possible.

So, if any one of the above resources fails and meets its migration-
threshold, all of the resources will move to another node so a recovery
attempt can be made for the failed resource.

No resource will be *stopped* due to the failed resource unless it
depends on it.

As of the forthcoming 2.1.0 release, the new "influence" option for
colocation constraints (and "critical" resource meta-attribute)
controls whether this effect occurs. If influence is turned off (or the
resource made non-critical), then the failed resource will just stop,
and the other resources won't move to try to save it.