[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: [EXT] Re: Two node cluster without fencing and no split brain?

kgaillot at redhat.com kgaillot at redhat.com
Wed Jul 28 10:53:51 EDT 2021

On Wed, 2021-07-28 at 08:51 -0400, john tillman wrote:
> > Technically you could give one vote to one node and zero to the
> > other.
> > If they lose contact only the server with one vote would make
> > quorum.
> > The downside is that if the server with 1 vote goes down the entire
> > cluster comes to a halt.
> >

> > That said, if both nodes can reach the same switch that they are
> > connected to each other through, why can't they reach each other?
> >

> "... why can't they reach each other?"  My question as well.
>
> It feels like a very low probability thing to me.  Some
> blockage/filtering/delay of the cluster's "quorum packets" while ping
> packets were allowed through, perhaps caused by network
> congestion.  But
> I'm not a network engineer.  Any network engineers reading this care
> comment?

It's not necessarily that they can't reach each other, but that one is
unresponsive. A kernel driver temporarily blocking activity, CPU or I/O
overload, or losing an essential disk drive (which won't affect
networking) can all cause a server to become unresponsive to cluster
traffic while still potentially having the ability to cause trouble if
resources are recovered elsewhere.

Having a separate network interface for fencing device access (ideally
on a separate physical card) is a good idea, so the interface is not a
single point of failure. Connecting that interface via a dedicated
switch, on a different UPS than the main switch, improves it even more.

A hardware watchdog is a good way to do fencing without all that
trouble.