[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: [EXT] Re: Two node cluster without fencing and no split brain?

john tillman johnt at panix.com
Mon Jul 26 09:53:06 EDT 2021

>> Nachricht
>> <1175ffcec0033015e13d11d7821d5acb.squirrel at mail.panix.com>:
>> > There was a lot of discussion on this topic which might have
>> overshadowed
>> > this question so I will ask it again in case someone missed it.
>> >
>> > It comes from a post (see below) that we were pointed to here by
>> Andrei:
>> >
>> > Is there something like the described "ping tiebreaker" in the current
>> > world of pacemaker/corosync?
>>
>> Maybe explain how it should work:
>> If the two nodes cannot rech each other, but each can reach the ping
>> node,
>> which node has the quorum then?
>>

> Guess both - which is what is played down as 'disadvantage' in the
> description
> below ;-)

It is not perfect, I agree, but it may be better than nothing at all.

As for how it worked in my head:

I would have used the switch's IP address as the "ping" tie breaker; a
common connection point between the two nodes.  My assumption is that if
there was network loss by Node A then it would lose quorum. In the mean
time Node B would still reach the switch, achieve quorum, and start/move
resources.

Thank you for your responses.  Ken G. posted a suggestion of using
"corosync-qdevice" on a third node.  I'll look into that but I may not be
able to install software on a third node.  If anyone can think of another
path to follow, please let me know.