[ClusterLabs] Two node cluster without fencing and no split brain?

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Thu Jul 22 06:23:57 EDT 2021

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 13:10:45 +0300
Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 1:05 PM Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
> <jgdr at dalibo.com> wrote:
> > To do some rewording in regard with the current topic: if Pacemaker is able
> > to stop its resources after a quorum lost, it will not reboot, no "death"
> > either.
>
> And how exactly is the remaining quorate partition supposed to know
> that this, inquorate, partition has stopped its resources and it is
> now safe to activate these resources somewhere else?

As far as I know, without active fencing, quorate nodes waits for the watchdog
timeout to expire before taking over the resources. So it relies on
watchdog trust if Pacemaker and/or sbd are not able to stop the resources.

However, in this topic, I believe OP is talking about a clustered FS, not a
single resource moving between nodes. So a distributed lock manager is involved
as well to take care of the writes...and that's a terra incognita to me.