[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: @ maillist Admins ‑ DMARC (yahoo)

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jul 14 03:21:04 EDT 2021

<dda37468bacd0ad6508289a33e654c8db1abc5c2.camel at redhat.com>:

>> <08471514b28d1e3f6859707f5951f07887336865.camel at redhat.com>:

>> > I suppose we should do something, since this is likely to be more
>> > of an
>> > issue as time goes on. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as
>> > flipping a
>> > switch. These are the two reasonable choices:
>> >

>> > (1) Change the "From" on list messages so that they appear to be
>> > from
>> > the list, rather than the poster. For example, your posts would
>> > show up
>> > as "From: lejeczek via ClusterLabs Users <users at clusterlabs.org>"
>> > rather than "From: lejeczek <peljasz at yahoo.co.uk>". This is less
>> > intrusive but makes it more difficult to reply directly to the
>> > sender,
>> > add the sender to an address book, etc.
>> >

>> > (2) Stop adding [ClusterLabs] to subject lines, setting ReplyTo: to
>> > the
>> > list instead of original author, and adding the list signature.
>> > This is
>> > more standards‑compliant, since the List‑* headers can still be
>> > used
>> > for filtering, unsubscribing, and replying to the list, but not all
>> > mail clients make those easy to use.
>> >

>> > Anyone have preferences for one over the other?
>>
>> I have no idea about DMARC, so I'm qualified for an opinion ;-)
>> My guess is that the changes mentioned to the original message make
>> the DMARC
>> signature invalid.
>
> Right
>
>> IMHO the best solution would be to (if at all) chack DMARC on
>> receipt, and
>> "re-sign" before sending it out to the list.
>
> Only the sender's domain mailers have the signing key. Once our mailing
> list server receives it, we can't modify the existing body or headers
> without breaking the DMARC (DKIM) signature. (Changing the "From" works
> because at that point the message is no longer from the DMARC-protected
> domain.)

What I meant is:
The original signature confirms that the message is from the submitter
(author).
After mangling the message, you can't re-testify that the message is still
from that author, but you can testify that the message is from the list.
(And maybe the list can add a remark whether the original message looked
authentic)

Regards,
Ulrich