[ClusterLabs] QDevice vs 3rd host for majority node quorum

Strahil Nikolov hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 15:55:30 EDT 2021

In some cases the third location has a single IP and it makes sense to use it as QDevice. If it has multiple network connections to that location - use a full blown node .
Best Regards,Strahil Nikolov

  On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 20:44, Andrei Borzenkov<arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote:   On 13.07.2021 19:52, Gerry R Sommerville wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am currently comparing using QDevice vs adding a 3rd host to my
> even-number-node cluster and I am wondering about the details concerning network
> communication.
> For example, say my cluster is utilizing multiple heartbeat rings. Would the
> QDevice take into account and use the IPs specified in the different rings? Or

No.

> does it only use the one specified under the quorum directive for QDevice?

Yes. Remote device is unrelated to corosync rings. Qdevice receives
information of current cluster membership from all nodes (point of
view), computes partitions and selects partition that will remain quorate.