[ClusterLabs] Stopping all nodes causes servers to migrate

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Jan 25 16:15:30 EST 2021

On 2021-01-25 3:58 p.m., Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-01-25 at 13:18 -0500, Digimer wrote:
>> On 2021-01-25 11:01 a.m., Ken Gaillot wrote:

>>> I'm going to guess that's what happened.
>>>
>>> The basic issue is that there is no "cluster shutdown" in
>>> Pacemaker,
>>> only "node shutdown". I'm guessing "pcs cluster stop --all" sends
>>> shutdown requests for each node in sequence (probably via systemd),
>>> and
>>> if the nodes are quick enough, one could start migrating off
>>> resources
>>> before all the others get their shutdown request.
>>>
>>> There would be a way around it. Normally Pacemaker is shut down via
>>> SIGTERM to pacemakerd (which is what systemctl stop does), but
>>> inside
>>> Pacemaker it's implemented as a special "shutdown" transient node
>>> attribute, set to the epoch timestamp of the request. It would be
>>> possible to set that attribute for all nodes in a copy of the CIB,
>>> then
>>> load that into the live cluster.
>>>
>>> stop-all-resources as suggested would be another way around it (and
>>> would have to be cleared after start-up, which could be a plus or a
>>> minus depending on how much control vs convenience you want).
>>
>> Thanks for your and everyone else's replies!
>>
>> I'm left curious about one part of this though; When the node
>> migrated,
>> the resource was then listed as unmanaged. So the resource was never
>> requested to shutdown and the cluster shutdown on that node then
>> hung.
>>
>> I can understand what's happening that triggered the migration, and I
>> can understand how to prevent it in the future. (Truth be told, the
>> Anvil! already would shut down all servers before calling the
>> pacemaker
>> stop, but I wanted to test possible fault conditions).
>>
>> Is it not a bug that the cluster was unable to stop after the
>> migration?
>>
>> If I understand what's been said in this thread, the host node got a
>> shutdown request so it migrated the resource. Then the peer (new
>> host)
>> would have gotten the shutdown request, should it then have seen the
>> peer was gone and shut the resource down? Why did it enter an
>> unmanaged
>> state?
>>
>> Cheers
>
> There aren't many ways the cluster can change a resource to unmanaged:
> maintenance mode configured (on the cluster, node, or resource), a
> failure when on-fail=block, being multiply active with multiple-
> active=block, losing quorum with no-quorum-policy=freeze, or a stop
> failure with no ability to fence.

Sorry, let me clarify; The resource was managed when I called 'pcs
cluster stop --all', so something in the background set it to
'unmanaged'. I suppose I would need to look in the logs...

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of