[ClusterLabs] Stopping all nodes causes servers to migrate

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Jan 25 13:18:22 EST 2021

On 2021-01-25 11:01 a.m., Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-01-25 at 09:51 +0100, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
>> Hi Digimer,
>>
>> On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 15:31:22 -0500
>> Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>  I had a test server (srv01-test) running on node 1 (el8-a01n01),
>>> and on
>>> node 2 (el8-a01n02) I ran 'pcs cluster stop --all'.
>>>
>>>   It appears like pacemaker asked the VM to migrate to node 2
>>> instead of
>>> stopping it. Once the server was on node 2, I couldn't use 'pcs
>>> resource
>>> disable <vm>' as it returned that that resource was unmanaged, and
>>> the
>>> cluster shut down was hung. When I directly stopped the VM and then
>>> did
>>> a 'pcs resource cleanup', the cluster shutdown completed.
>>
>> As actions during a cluster shutdown cannot be handled in the same
>> transition
>> for each nodes, I usually add a step to disable all resources using
>> property
>> "stop-all-resources" before shutting down the cluster:
>>
>>   pcs property set stop-all-resources=true
>>   pcs cluster stop --all
>>
>> But it seems there's a very new cluster property to handle that
>> (IIRC, one or
>> two releases ago). Look at "shutdown-lock" doc:
>>
>>   [...]
>>   some users prefer to make resources highly available only for
>> failures, with
>>   no recovery for clean shutdowns. If this option is true, resources
>> active on a
>>   node when it is cleanly shut down are kept "locked" to that node
>> (not allowed
>>   to run elsewhere) until they start again on that node after it
>> rejoins (or
>>   for at most shutdown-lock-limit, if set).
>>   [...]
>>
>> [...]
>>>   So as best as I can tell, pacemaker really did ask for a
>>> migration. Is
>>> this the case?
>>
>> AFAIK, yes, because each cluster shutdown request is handled
>> independently at
>> node level. There's a large door open for all kind of race conditions
>> if
>> requests are handled with some random lags on each nodes.
>
> I'm going to guess that's what happened.
>
> The basic issue is that there is no "cluster shutdown" in Pacemaker,
> only "node shutdown". I'm guessing "pcs cluster stop --all" sends
> shutdown requests for each node in sequence (probably via systemd), and
> if the nodes are quick enough, one could start migrating off resources
> before all the others get their shutdown request.
>
> There would be a way around it. Normally Pacemaker is shut down via
> SIGTERM to pacemakerd (which is what systemctl stop does), but inside
> Pacemaker it's implemented as a special "shutdown" transient node
> attribute, set to the epoch timestamp of the request. It would be
> [...]

Thanks for your and everyone else's replies!

I'm left curious about one part of this though; When the node migrated,
the resource was then listed as unmanaged. So the resource was never
requested to shutdown and the cluster shutdown on that node then hung.

I can understand what's happening that triggered the migration, and I
can understand how to prevent it in the future. (Truth be told, the
Anvil! already would shut down all servers before calling the pacemaker
stop, but I wanted to test possible fault conditions).

Is it not a bug that the cluster was unable to stop after the migration?

If I understand what's been said in this thread, the host node got a
shutdown request so it migrated the resource. Then the peer (new host)
would have gotten the shutdown request, should it then have seen the
peer was gone and shut the resource down? Why did it enter an unmanaged
state?

Cheers

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of