[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: Q: starting systemd resources

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Feb 8 03:30:16 EST 2021

>>> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> schrieb am 05.02.2021 um 16:47 in Nachricht
<7247097610e6ab4f3a44a7648e0acf32fbdb9937.camel at redhat.com>:

Hi!

>> Doesn't systemctl return a proper exit status?
>
> It does, but we don't use systemctl, we use the systemd C library
> interface. And unfortunately, our current implementation does not use
> it optimally.
>
> The current design is based on initiating the start, then polling the
> the status periodically until it reports active.

So the start function you are using is asynchronous? Otherwise I don't see the need of polling independent from a probe/monitor operation.

> A better design would be to initiate the start, then listen for systemd
> DBus signals that report when the start is complete. However that would
> be a significant redesign, and developer time is not available for it.

Compared to an OCF RA start where you wait until the start returns some result, why do you do it so much differently for systemd?
Because in systemd it's all different? ;-)

Ulrich