[ClusterLabs] VirtualDomain & "deeper" monitors - what/how?

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Apr 30 10:57:25 EDT 2021

On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 11:00 +0100, lejeczek wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I'd like to ask around for thoughts & suggestions on any
> semi/official ways to monitor VirtualDomain.
> Something beyond what included RA does - such as actual
> health testing of and communication with VM's OS.
>
> many thanks, L.

This use case led to a Pacemaker feature many moons ago ...

Pacemaker supports nagios plug-ins as a resource type (e.g.
nagios:check_apache_status). These are service checks usually used with
monitoring software such as nagios, icinga, etc.

If the service being monitored is inside a VirtualDomain, named vm1 for
example, you can configure the nagios resource with the resource meta-
attribute container="vm1". If the nagios check fails, Pacemaker will
restart vm1.

(This feature was added before OS containers became popular, so the
naming is a bit unfortunate.)