[ClusterLabs] [Problem] In RHEL8.4beta, pgsql resource control fails.

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Wed Apr 28 13:00:40 EDT 2021

On Wed, 2021-04-28 at 18:14 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems to me the concern raised by Ulrich hasn't been discussed:
>
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2021 Ulrich Windl wrote:
>
> > Personally I think an RA calling crm_mon is inherently broken: Will
> > it ever
> > pass ocf-tester?

Calling the command-line tools in an agent can be OK in some cases. The
main concerns are:

* Time-of-check/time-of-use: cluster status can change immediately, so
the agent should behave reasonably if a query result is incorrect at
the moment it's used. Ideally there would be no case where the agent
could incorrectly report success for an action.

* No commands that *change* the configuration (other than setting node
attributes) should ever be used. Otherwise there's a potential for an
infinite loop between the agent and scheduler.

* It's best to use tools' XML output when available, because that
should be stable across Pacemaker releases, while the text output may
not be. Aside from crm_mon, XML output is a recent addition, so some
consideration must be given to backward compatibility and/or requiring
a minimum Pacemaker version.

* Only the configuration section of the CIB has a guaranteed schema.
The status section can theoretically change from release to release,
although in practice it has changed very little over the years.

I don't use ocf-tester so I can't speak to that, but I suspect it could
work if you exported a CIB_file variable with a sample cluster status
beforehand. (CIB_file makes the cluster commands act as if the
specified file is the live CIB at the moment.)

> Would it be possible to rely on the following command ?
>
>   cibadmin --query --xpath "//status/node_state[@join='member']" | \
>     grep -Po 'uname="\K[^"]+'
>

> Regards,

Only full cluster nodes will have a "join" attribute, so that query
won't catch active remote nodes or guest nodes. Whether that's good or
bad depends on what you're looking for.

The plus side is that it's a query and it returns XML.

The downsides are that node status can change quickly, so it could
theoretically be inaccurate a moment later when you use it, and the
status section is not guaranteed to stay in that format (though I
expect that particular part will).

A minor point: that query will return the entire node_state XML
subtree; you can add -n/--no-children to return just the node_state
element itself.