[ClusterLabs] Autostart/Enabling of Pacemaker and corosync

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Apr 26 14:06:51 EDT 2021

On Mon, 2021-04-26 at 17:04 +0000, Moneta, Howard wrote:
> Hello community.  I have read that it is not recommended to set
> Pacemaker and corosync to enabled/auto start on the nodes.  Is this
> how people have it configured? If a computer restarts unexpectedly,
> is it better to manually investigate first or allow the node to come
> back online and rejoin the cluster automaticly in order to minimize
> downtime?  If the auto start is not enabled, how do you handle
> patching?  I’m using Pacemaker with PAF, PostgreSQL Automatic
> Failover. I had thought to follow the published guidance and not set
> those processes to enabled but other coworkers are resisting and
> saying that the systems should be configured to recover by themselves
> around patching or even a temporary unplanned network/virtualization
> glitch.
>
> Thanks,
> Howard

Hi Howard,

It's a matter of preference. You summed up the pros and cons of each
side quite well. :)

The manual approach leans more to safety. For example, if a node got
fenced because its network card is flaky, or a disk is having write
errors, then having it automatically rejoin is just going to repeat the
problem.

The automated approach leans more to quick self-recovery, and is more
convenient in larger organizations where not every administrator that
has access to the host for applying updates etc. is trained on the
cluster software.