[ClusterLabs] how to setup single node cluster

Reid Wahl nwahl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 02:32:53 EDT 2021

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 11:27 PM d tbsky <tbskyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reid Wahl <nwahl at redhat.com>
> > I don't think we do require fencing for single-node clusters. (Anyone at
> Red Hat, feel free to comment.) I vaguely recall an internal mailing list
> or IRC conversation where we discussed this months ago, but I can't find it
> now. I've also checked our support policies documentation, and it's not
> mentioned in the "cluster size" doc or the "fencing" doc.
>
>    since the cluster is 100% alive or 100% dead with single node, I
> think fencing/quorum is not required. I am just curious what is the
> usage case. since RedHat supports it, it must be useful in real
> scenario.

Disaster recovery is the main use case we had in mind. See the RHEL 8.2
release notes:
  -
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/8.2_release_notes/rhel-8-2-0-release#enhancement_high-availability-and-clusters

I thought I also remembered some other use case involving MS SQL, but I
can't find anything about it so I might be remembering incorrectly.

Reid Wahl, RHCA
Senior Software Maintenance Engineer, Red Hat
CEE - Platform Support Delivery - ClusterHA