[ClusterLabs] Adding a node to an active cluster

Igor Tverdovskiy igor.tverdovskiy.pe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:49:10 EDT 2020

Hi Jiaqi,

The most reliable way to add a new node according to my practice is the
following:
1. update corosync.conf files among all hosts in cluster including the new
node
2. copy corosync auth file to the new node
3. enable maintenance:
a) sudo crm configure property maintenance-mode=true
When global maintenance mode is enabled you may safely stop pacemaker and
corosync services

b) sudo crm status
ensure it is enabled on all nodes(it is global mode, but if you have
split-brain not all nodes can be affected by command)
4. stop pacemaker and corosync services on all nodes
5. start pacemaker and corosync services on all node *on by one (one node
at a time)*

After this you will have all nodes in a cluster. You may try to do a simple
restart of pacemaker and corosync services without stopping them and
without starting in a sequence, but this will not always work.