[ClusterLabs] fence_mpath and failed IP

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 12:22:46 EDT 2020

On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 08:56 +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> 31.03.2020 05:56, Ken Gaillot пишет:
> > On Sat, 2020-02-22 at 03:50 +0200, Strahil Nikolov wrote:
> > > Hello community,
> > >
> > > Recently I have started playing with fence_mpath and I have
> > > noticed
> > > that when the node is fenced,  the node is kicked out of the
> > > cluster  (corosync & pacemaker are shut down).
> > >
> > > Fencing works correctly , but the IP address cannot be brought up
> > > on
> > > the designated 'replacement' host, because it was left on the old
> > > node.
> > >
> > > I believe that this is a timing issue -  fenced node doesn't have
> > > the
> > > time to shutdown all it's resources before pacemaker dies
> > > locally.
> > >
> > > Can someone confirm this behaviour on anothger distro,  as I'm
> > > currently testing it on RHEL7? If it is only for RedHat,  I can
> > > open
> > > a bug in the bugzilla.
> > >
> > > Note: There is a workaround in order to reboot the node (using
> > > a  symbolic link to /etc/watchdog.d )  with the help of the
> > > fence_scsi or the fence_mpath scripts  in /usr/share/cluster .
> > >

> > > Best Regards,
> > > Strahil Nikolov
> >
> > I'm not expert with fabric fencing, but from what I understand,
> > this is
> > an inherent limitation. Cutting off the disk obviously has no
> > effect on
> > resources (like an IP) that don't require that disk.
> >
> > Pacemaker 2.0.3 added a new cluster property, "fence-reaction",
> > that
> > controls what a node does when notified of its own fencing. That's
> > intended for cases like this (though it only is useful if the node
> > is
> > still functioning well enough to process the notification). The
> > default
> > of "stop" is pacemaker's traditional response -- immediately stop
> > pacemaker itself, which can leave resources running. Using "panic"
> > will
> > make pacemaker halt the node instead.
> >
> > In theory, the ideal solution would be to use a fencing topology to
> > combine disk fencing with network access fencing via a smart
> > switch.
> > However there is a bug with that setup.
> >

> Could you elaborate or point to bug report?

I knew someone would ask that ;)

I've searched through BZs and my notes and can't find it, and I can't
remember the details.

I know a network-fenced node needs to be manually unfenced before it
can rejoin the cluster, because obviously it can't send a join request
to the cluster to trigger unfencing.

But there was some issue unique to the combination of disk and network
fencing that I can't recall at the moment.