[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Re: Serialize and symmetrical=true does not work together

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 15:10:24 EDT 2020

On Tue, 2020-03-17 at 07:45 +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> Nachricht
> <1227_1584403147_5E7012CB_1227_2106_1_3a13cd73f8738e6967d6b1c399e994a
> 1155495c3.c
> mel at redhat.com>:
> > It has always been the case that symmetrical=true was ignored (with
> > warning) for serialized constraints; the only recent change was
> > making
> > false the default so the warning wouldn't be displayed.
> >
> > If you want the services to start and stop in a particular order,
> > you
> > don't want a serialized constraint, just a regular order
> > constraint. A
> > serialized constraint merely says that the actions can't be done at
> > the
> > same time, either one may be done first.
> >
> > If you have a serialized constraint saying the resources can't
> > start at
> > the same time, and want that to apply to stops as well, then you
> > can
> > create a second serialized constraint explicitly specifying stop as
> > the
> > action to be ordered.
>
> Maybe a simple, but realistic example would help to understand.

Good idea ...

1. You have two databases that hog a lot of resources on start-up. You
don't care which one starts first, but you don't want them starting at
the same time because it slows everything down too much.

   -> use an order constraint with kind="Serialize". other actions
(including stop) are unaffected

2. Same, but stopping slows everything down too.

   -> use two order constraints with kind="Serialize", one with
first/then action = start (or let them default) and the other with
first/then action = stop

3. Database B must be started after database A, and B must be stopped
before A can be stopped.

   -> use a normal "A then B" order constraint