[ClusterLabs] Antw: [EXT] Coming in Pacemaker 2.0.5: finer control over resource and operation defaults

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Jul 24 03:15:54 EDT 2020

>>> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> schrieb am 23.07.2020 um 23:54 in
Nachricht
<99c11c73d59560fccd472d09c3b76073dab1b73e.camel at redhat.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> Pacemaker 2.0.4 is barely out the door, and we're already looking ahead
> to 2.0.5, expected at the end of this year.
>
> One of the new features, already available in the master branch, will
> be finer‑grained control over resource and operation defaults.
>
> Currently, you can set meta‑attribute values in the CIB's rsc_defaults
> section to apply to all resources, and op_defaults to apply to all
> operations. Rules can be used to apply defaults only during certain
> times. For example, to set a default stickiness of INFINITY during
> business hours and 0 outside those hours:
>
>    <rsc_defaults>
>     <meta_attributes id="business‑hours" score="2">
>       <rule id="business‑hours‑rule" score="0">
>         <date_expression id="business‑hours‑expr" operation="date_spec">
>           <date_spec id="business‑hours‑spec" hours="9‑17" weekdays="1‑5"/>
>         </date_expression>
>       </rule>
>       <nvpair id="business‑hours‑stickiness" name="resource‑stickiness"
> value="INFINITY"/>
>     </meta_attributes>
>     <meta_attributes id="after‑hours" score="1" >
>       <nvpair id="after‑hours‑stickiness" name="resource‑stickiness"
value="0"/>
>     </meta_attributes>
>    </rsc_defaults>
>
> But what if you want to change the default stickiness of just pgsql
> databases? Or the default timeout of only start operations?

We are using a rather similar scenario, like the stickyness. However we
distinguish between productive and "no so productive" (test, developement)
resources. First we release the stickiness of non-essential resources so that
they can be re-balanced if needed. Later when the productive resources are
released, the nodes maybe balanced already using the non-essential resources.

At the moment we copied the rules to each resource, which is not nice, of
course.

I'd appreciate:
date_spec be defined once and reused often
rule be defined once and reused often