[ClusterLabs] Still Beginner STONITH Problem

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Tue Jul 7 05:36:19 EDT 2020

On 7/7/20 11:12 AM, Strahil Nikolov wrote:
>> With kvm please use the qemu-watchdog and try to
>> prevent using softdogwith SBD.
>> Especially if you are aiming for a production-cluster ...
> You can tell it to the previous company  I worked  for :D .
> All clusters were  using softdog on SLES 11/12 despite  the hardware had it's own.
Yes I know opinions regarding softdog do diverge a bit.
Going through some possible kernel-paths at least leaves
a bad taste. Doesn't mean you will have issues though.
Just something where testing won't give you an easy
answer. May as well depend heavily on the hardware
you are running on.
As long as there are better possibilities one should at
least consider them. Remember to have defaulted to
softdog on a pre-configured product-installer with the
documentation stating that softdog has it's shortcomings
and an advise to configure something else if available,
you know what you are doing and you have tested it
(testing if a hardware watchdog actually fires is
easy while it is merely impossible to test-verify
if softdog is really reliable enough).

Klaus