[ClusterLabs] SBD restarted the node while pacemaker in maintenance mode

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Wed Jan 8 04:30:28 EST 2020

On 1/8/20 9:28 AM, Jerry Kross wrote:
> Thanks Klaus. Yes, I was able to reproduce the latency messages by
> inducing a network delay in the SBD VM and the node did not reboot.
> We also had a production issue where the primary node of a 2 node
> cluster was fenced when the primary node lost connectivity to 2 out of
> the 3 SBD disks. The error message is "Warning: inquisitor_child
> requested a reset"
Did the 2 cluster nodes loose connectivity to each other as well
simultaneously?
> The SBD configuration is integrated with the pacemaker cluster.The
> reboot would have happened
Just to assure we are talking of the same thing: When talking
about pacemaker integration I mean the '-P' option (default and
if given a 2nd time this means turn off - check presence of
'sbd: watcher: Pacemaker' & 'sbd: watcher: Cluster' sub-daemons -
and corosync.conf: quorum { ... two_node: 1 ...} of course in your
case to tell sbd it should rather count nodes instead of relying
on quorum).
> because of 2 events: 1) access was lost to 3 SBD disks , 2) Pacemaker
> regarded this node as
1) shouldn't trigger a reboot by itself as long as the nodes see each
other while 2) would of course trigger self-fencing.
> unhealthy (although this is not clear from the logs) But the
> triggering point was the loss of connectivity and am not sure if
> pacemaker regarded this node as unhealthy because the node lost
> connectivity to the 2 SBD disks.
Loosing 2 out of 3 disks should impose the same behavior as
loosing 1 disk in a single-disk setup.

reminding me to add test-case(s) to CI that verify the
disk-quorum behavior ;-)
> In such a scenario, Having 1 SBD device would be sufficient?
As already said with pacemaker-integration - principally yes.
Unless you have e.g. a setup with 3 disks at 3 sites and
2 nodes at 2 of these sites where you still want to provide
service while entirely loosing one of the node-sites.

To further assure we are on the same page some more
info about distribution, version/origin of sbd & pacemaker,
sbd & corosync config might be helpful.

Klaus