[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Coming in Pacemaker 2.0.4: shutdown locks

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 10:59:17 EST 2020

On Thu, 2020-02-27 at 08:12 +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> <2257e2a1e5fd88ae2b915b8241a8e8c9e150b95b.camel at redhat.com>:
>
> [...]
> > I considered a per-resource and/or per-node setting, but the target
> > audience is someone who wants things as simple as possible. A per-
> > node
>
> Actually, while it may seem simple, it adds quite a lot of additional
> complexity, and I'm still not convinced that this is really needed.
>
> [...]
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

I think that was the reaction of just about everyone (including myself)
the first time they heard about it :)

The main justification is that other HA software offers the capability,
so this removes an obstacle to those users switching to pacemaker.

However the fact that it's a blocking point for users who might
otherwise switch points out that it does have real-world value.

It might be a narrow use case, but it's one that involves scale, which
is something we're always striving to better support. If an
organization has hundreds or thousands of clusters, yet those still are
just a small fraction of the total servers being administered at the
organization, expertise becomes a major limiting factor. In such a case
you don't want to waste your cluster admins' time on late-night routine
OS updates.