[ClusterLabs] Coming in Pacemaker 2.0.4: shutdown locks

Ondrej ondrej-clusterlabs at famera.cz
Wed Feb 26 00:45:29 EST 2020

Hi Ken,

On 2/26/20 7:30 AM, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> The use case is a large organization with few cluster experts and many
> junior system administrators who reboot hosts for OS updates during
> planned maintenance windows, without any knowledge of what the host
> does. The cluster runs services that have a preferred node and take a
> very long time to start.
>
> In this scenario, pacemaker's default behavior of moving the service to
> a failover node when the node shuts down, and moving it back when the
> node comes back up, results in needless downtime compared to just
> leaving the service down for the few minutes needed for a reboot.

1. Do I understand it correctly that scenario will be when system
gracefully reboots (pacemaker service is stopped by system shutting
down) and also in case that users for example manually stop cluster but
doesn't reboot the node - something like `pcs cluster stop`?

> If you decide while the node is down that you need the resource to be
> recovered, you can manually clear a lock with "crm_resource --refresh"
> specifying both --node and --resource.

2. I'm interested how the situation will look like in the 'crm_mon'
output or in 'crm_simulate'. Will there be some indication why the
resources are not moving like 'blocked-shutdown-lock' or they will just
appear as not moving (Stopped)?

Will this look differently from situation where for example the resource
is just not allowed by constraint to run on other nodes?

Thanks for heads up

--
Ondrej Famera