[ClusterLabs] Coming in Pacemaker 2.0.4: shutdown locks

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 17:30:24 EST 2020

Hi all,

We are a couple of months away from starting the release cycle for
Pacemaker 2.0.4. I'll highlight some new features between now and then.

First we have shutdown locks. This is a narrow use case that I don't
expect a lot of interest in, but it helps give pacemaker feature parity
with proprietary HA systems, which can help users feel more comfortable
switching to pacemaker and open source.

The use case is a large organization with few cluster experts and many
junior system administrators who reboot hosts for OS updates during
planned maintenance windows, without any knowledge of what the host
does. The cluster runs services that have a preferred node and take a
very long time to start.

In this scenario, pacemaker's default behavior of moving the service to
a failover node when the node shuts down, and moving it back when the
node comes back up, results in needless downtime compared to just
leaving the service down for the few minutes needed for a reboot.

The goal could be accomplished with existing pacemaker features.
Maintenance mode wouldn't work because the node is being rebooted. But
you could figure out what resources are active on the node, and use a
location constraint with a rule to ban them on all other nodes before
shutting down. That's a lot of work for something the cluster can
figure out automatically.

Pacemaker 2.0.4 will offer a new cluster property, shutdown-lock,
defaulting to false to keep the current behavior. If shutdown-lock is
set to true, any resources active on a node when it is cleanly shut
down will be "locked" to the node (kept down rather than recovered
elsewhere). Once the node comes back up and rejoins the cluster, they
will be "unlocked" (free to move again if circumstances warrant).

An additional cluster property, shutdown-lock-limit, allows you to set
a timeout for the locks so that if the node doesn't come back within
that time, the resources are free to be recovered elsewhere. This
defaults to no limit.

If you decide while the node is down that you need the resource to be
recovered, you can manually clear a lock with "crm_resource --refresh"
specifying both --node and --resource.

There are some limitations using shutdown locks with Pacemaker Remote
nodes, so I'd avoid that with the upcoming release, though it is
possible.