[ClusterLabs] Ugrading Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 with corosync/pacemaker failed

Rasca Gmelch rasca.gmelch at artcom.de
Thu Feb 20 10:39:53 EST 2020

Am 20.02.20 um 15:14 schrieb Rafael David Tinoco:

> Quick question, perhaps unimportant to this forum, but, since this is a
> samba HA setup, why to update to 16.04 and not to 18.04 ? I know Xenial
> is still supported until 2024 but, as you're taking the chance to
> migrate, why not the latest LTS version (bionic ?).

The idea was to do a small step first while the cluster is
still running - updating node by node (just 2) from
corosync 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 und pacemaker 1.1.10 to 1.1.14.
These minor updates looked possible to me - but I oversaw
the upstart/systemd problem.

If we have to shutdown the cluster anyway I think
we will wait until April and then doing an upgrade
to 20.04 LTS.

> And you will understand their relation in the following wiki:
> https://wiki.debian.org/MaintainerScripts

Thanks for the notes and links. But during the upgrade I did
not see any errors.

> OR the upgrade  was not smooth in regards to config options (you were
> using) and its compatibility.

After manualle adding the nodelist the corosync at least
this runs 'normal':

corosync-quorumtool -sli

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes Name
1084766053          1 192.168.55.101
1084766054          1 192.168.55.102 (local)

This I see on both servers. Only the "local" tag
is on the other IP - which is what I would expect.

Does it mean all these errors or wrong state information
are subject of pacemaker and not corosync, right?

>> According to the logs it looks like the service (e.g. nmbd) is not
>> available (may be because of (upstart:nmbd) - how do I change this
>> configuration in pacemaker? I want to change it to "service" instead
>> of "upstart". I hope this will fix at least the service problems.
>>
>>   crm configure primitive smbd ..
>> gives me:
>>   ERROR: smbd: id is already in use.

I figured out to use "crm configure edit" to change
the setup.

> A bunch of things to notice from these messages:
>
> - Trusty used "upstart" as its init system
> - Xenial uses systemd as its init system
> - It looks to me you're using "upstart" resource agent
> - In Xenial you would have to use systemd resource agent

According to the pacemaker 1.1. manual, chapter 5.2.5
I can use the 'service' resource agent instead of systemd
or upstart. But if I try with "configure edit" I see
an error like "no such resource agent". I did this in
an virtualbox test-environment with ubuntu 14.04.

> Yes
>
> 1) stop what you are doing, do it from the ground.
>
> 2) Take 1 of the servers and configure it appropriately using the proper
> resource agent. Before configuring the resources, make sure the rings
> are in good shape and the cluster has the proper votes.

Thanks for all these notes and cents but I'm too less experienced
to do this while the production node is online.
I've to do more tests with my two virtualbox VMs to become more
familuar with the corosync/pacemaker setup.

Regards,
 Rasca