[ClusterLabs] Ugrading Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 with corosync/pacemaker failed

Rasca Gmelch rasca.gmelch at artcom.de
Thu Feb 20 04:53:34 EST 2020

Am 19.02.20 um 19:20 schrieb Strahil Nikolov:
> On February 19, 2020 6:31:19 PM GMT+02:00, Rasca <rasca.gmelch at artcom.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we run a 2-system cluster for Samba with Ubuntu 14.04 and Samba,
>> Corosync and Pacemaker from the Ubuntu repos. We wanted to update
>> to Ubuntu 16.04 but it failed:
>>
>> I checked the versions before and because of just minor updates
>> of corosync and pacemaker I thought it should be possible to
>> update node by node.
>>
>> * Put srv2 into standby
>> * Upgraded srv2 to Ubuntu 16.04 with reboot and so on
>> * Added a nodelist to corosync.conf because it looked
>>  like corosync on srv2 didn't know the names of the
>>  node ids anymore
>>
>> But still it does not work on srv2. srv1 (the active
>> server with ubuntu 14.04) ist fine. It looks like
>> it's an upstart/systemd issue, but may be even more.
>> Why does srv1 says UNCLEAN about srv2? On srv2 I see
>> corosync sees both systems. But srv2 says srv1 is
>> OFFLINE!?
>>
>> crm status
>>

>> srv1____________________________________________________________
>> Last updated: Wed Feb 19 17:22:03 2020
>> Last change: Tue Feb 18 11:05:47 2020 via crm_attribute on srv2
>> Stack: corosync
>> Current DC: srv1 (1084766053) - partition with quorum
>> Version: 1.1.10-42f2063
>> 2 Nodes configured
>> 9 Resources configured
>>

>> Node srv2 (1084766054): UNCLEAN (offline)
>> Online: [ srv1 ]
>>
>> Resource Group: samba_daemons
>>     samba-nmbd	(upstart:nmbd):	Started srv1
>> [..]
>>

>> srv2____________________________________________________________
>> Last updated: Wed Feb 19 17:25:14 2020		Last change: Tue Feb 18
>> 18:29:29
>> 2020 by hacluster via crmd on srv2
>> Stack: corosync
>> Current DC: srv2 (version 1.1.14-70404b0) - partition with quorum
>> 2 nodes and 9 resources configured
>>
>> Node srv2: standby
>> OFFLINE: [ srv1 ]

Still don't understand the concept of corosync/pacemaker. Which part is
responsible for this "OFFLINE" statement? I don't know where to
look deeper about this mismatch (see some lines above, where it
says "Online" about srv1).

>> Full list of resources:
>>
>> Resource Group: samba_daemons
>>     samba-nmbd	(upstart:nmbd):	Stopped
>> [..]>>
>>
>> Failed Actions:
>> * samba-nmbd_monitor_0 on srv2 'not installed' (5): call=5, status=Not
>> installed, exitreason='none',
>>    last-rc-change='Wed Feb 19 14:13:20 2020', queued=0ms, exec=1ms
>> [..]

According to the logs it looks like the service (e.g. nmbd) is not
available (may be because of (upstart:nmbd) - how do I change this
configuration in pacemaker? I want to change it to "service" instead
of "upstart". I hope this will fix at least the service problems.

  crm configure primitive smbd ..
gives me:
  ERROR: smbd: id is already in use.

>> Any suggestions, ideas? Is the a nice HowTo for this upgrade situation?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rasca

> Are  you  sure  that there  is no cluster  peotocol mismatch ?
>
> Major number OS Upgrade  (even if supported by vendor)  must be done offline  (with proper  testing in advance).
>
> What happens  when you upgraded  the other  node ,  or when you rollback the upgrade ?
>
> Best Regards,
> Strahil Nikolov

Protocol mismatch of corosync or pacemaker? corosync-cmapctl shows that
srv1 and srv2 are members. In the corosync config I have:

service {
   ver: 0
   name: pacemaker
}

What about this "ver: 0"? May be that's wrong - even for the ubuntu
14.04? The configuration itself was designed under ubuntu 12.04. May
be we forgot to change this parameter when we upgraded from 12.04 to
ubuntu 14.04 some years before?

Thx+Regards,
 Rasca