[ClusterLabs] Automatic recover from split brain ?

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 16:19:10 EDT 2020

On Sun, 2020-08-09 at 21:11 +0200, Adam Cécile wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm experiencing issue with corosync/pacemaker running on Debian
> Buster.
> Cluster has three nodes running in VMWare virtual machine and the
> cluster fails when VEEAM backups the virtual machine (I know it's
> doing
> bad things, like freezing completely the VM for a few minutes to
> make
> disk snapshot).
>
> My biggest issue is that once the backup has been completed, the
> cluster
> stays in split brain state, and I'd like it to heal itself. Here

Fencing is how the cluster prevents split-brain. When one node is lost,
the other nodes will not recover any resources from it until it's
fenced. For VMWare there's a fence_vmware_soap fence agent.

However that's intended for failure scenarios, not a planned outage
like a backup snapshot.

For planned outages, you can set the cluster-wide
property "maintenance-mode" to true. The cluster won't start, monitor,
or stop resources while in maintenance mode. You can use rules to
automatically put the cluster in maintenance mode at specific times.

However I believe even in maintenance mode, the node will get fenced if
it drops out of the corosync membership. Ideally you'd put the cluster
in maintenance mode, stop pacemaker and corosync on the node, do the
backup, then start pacemaker and corosync, wait for them to come up,
and take the cluster out of maintenance mode.

Alternatively, if you want the resources to move to other nodes while
the backup is being done, you could put the node in standby rather than
set maintenance mode.